Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Torn between friends

Dear Caitlin,
i have 2 groups of friends. i have christian ones from my youth group and non- christian ones from when i was in high school. (i just finished i'm only 17) i usually hang around my non-christian friends on weekends. but every time i hang out with them when i get home i feel so wordly and haning out with makes me want to be like them . i'm starting to think that drinking isn't that bad and wanting to go to parties and try pot but i know that it's wrong. my christian friends say i should limit my time i spend with them to one time a month. but my i love my other friends too! mostly my best friend thats a non-christian. i don't know what to do because i enjoy spending time with them and it would also hurt them if i stopped. what should i do?
from, B.L

Dear B.L.,
That’s a tough one. First of all I think it’s important to hang with non-Christian friends—but only as long as you’re the one who’s doing the influencing. When you start becoming like them (and compromising your real values) it’s time to move on or at least limit the time you’re with them. Is it possible to invite them to hang with you and some of your Christian friends too? Also, you might ask yourself WHY you enjoy hanging with the non-Christian friends. I mean if they’re really into drinking and pot, what’s the point? Ask God to lead you through this, then be sincere (like you were in this letter) and follow his leading.
Blessings,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment